How to preserve the life of your stone walkway
March 6, 2023
Preserving the life of a stone walkway is important to ensure that it remains safe, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. Here are some tips for preserving the life of your stone walkway:
- Keep it clean: Regularly sweeping and washing the stone walkway will help prevent the accumulation of dirt, debris, and other materials that can cause damage over time.
- Remove stains: Stains caused by oil, grease, or other substances can penetrate the surface of the stones and cause long-term damage. Clean up spills as soon as possible, and use a stone cleaner or poultice to remove stubborn stains.
- Fill in cracks: Over time, stones may shift and settle, causing cracks to form. Fill in these cracks with a suitable filler to prevent water from seeping in and causing further damage.
- Seal the stones: Applying a sealant to the stones will help protect them from water damage and stains. Be sure to choose a sealant that is appropriate for the type of stone used in your walkway.
- Avoid heavy equipment: Avoid using heavy equipment, such as lawnmowers or snowblowers, on the stone walkway. These can cause damage to the stones or shift them out of place.
- Watch for drainage issues: Poor drainage can cause water to accumulate on the surface of the stones, which can lead to cracking and other damage. Make sure the walkway is properly sloped and that drainage is directed away from the walkway.
By following these tips, you can help preserve the life of your stone walkway and keep it looking beautiful for years to come.